In this show, we discuss with Pippa Gawley (Founding Parter of Zero Carbon Capital):
- How to crack the diversity problem in VC and Climate Tech in general
- The level of maturity of the London and UK Climate tech scenes, how many funds exist and why there are so few Unicorns YET
- How Pippa runs a VC fund with her husband
I truly think you will enjoy this one. Pippa brings a unique perspective as a woman Fund Manager and it's REFRESHING!
ABOUT CLIMATE INSIDERS:
Climate Insiders is brought to you by Climentum Capital, a Seed+ and Series A cleantech European venture capital firm focused on funding and scaling climate-positive ventures that cut down on CO2 emissions.
If you are interested in how smarter capitalism combined with mission-driven founders building innovative tech startups can overcome our climate crisis and build a better future, you’ve come to the right place.
Check us out at: https://www.climateinsiders.co and https://www.climentum.com
ABOUT THE GUEST:
Pippa Gawley is a General Partner at Zero Carbon Capital, a UK Climate Fund investing in early-stage companies that are on a mission to fix climate change through deep science innovation.
She worked with eBay in the UK, moved to Silicon Valley and is one of the re-immigrants as she moved back to Europe.
- Zero Carbon Capital’s geographical scope, ticket size and strategy (1:40)
- How Pippa launched the fund with her husband Alex Gawley (2:00)
- The biggest lessons she brought back from Silicon Valley to the UK (3:30)
- The Climate Tech space is evolving even faster than the rest of Tech scene in Europe (5:30)
- Only 2 Climate “unicorns” in the UK (as of May 2022). Pippa shares the reasons why (7:00)
- Why we need more collaboration between funds and investors in Europe (8:00)
- Their collaboration with Extantia who is LP in their fund (9:00)
- How do we enable more diversity in Venture Capital (10:30)
- The responsibility from Governments, LPs, and the Climate Tech community to help more women get (12:30)
- Why they chose not to work with the UK government fund (14:00)
- There are lots of angel groups that focus on women (15:40)
- The triggering moment that pushed Pippa to become an Angel investor (16:00)
- Why we need outreach programs to encourage friends to get into Angel investing (16:30)
- Pippa’s positioning on funding Software vs Hardware startups (17:30)
- Why Pippa only invest in opportunities where they can be additive (18:00)
- Their decision to invest in less crowded verticals: industrial hardware, hydrogen leakage (19:00)
- How Zero Carbon Capital runs technical Due Diligence and uses an external team of expert for sanity checks (20:00)
- The one area where Pippa has completely changed her mind (21:40)
- Why the laziness of the human species means we will need carbon removal even if the logic doesn’t make sense (23:30)
- Why people love the idea of a silver bullet and why it unfortunately won’t happen (24:00)
- The biggest learning and mistake since starting Zero Carbon Capital (25:00)
- What Pippa would do if she had to start again (26:00)
- Why we need more specialist Climate funds in the future (27:00)
- Why the smaller funds will drive more impact than the bigger ones (28:00)
- Pippa’s great networking recommendations to transition your career into Climate, expand your Climate network (30:30)
- Why listening to Podcasts is the best advice to get up to speed on Climate (31:20)
ABOUT THE HOST:
Yoann Berno https://www.linkedin.com/in/yberno/ After a career spent building and investing in top tech startups, Yoann is now founding member and General Partner at Climentum Capital focused on investing in game changing technological solutions to our worsening climate crisis.
To learn more about CLIMENTUM CAPITAL and apply for funding, please visit https://www.climentum.com
To become an LP and invest in one of Climentum’s upcoming funds, get in touch at: https://www.climentum.com/contact-form
And don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to our NEWSLETTER at https://www.climateinsiders.co